09 September 2012

My uncle, the fortune teller

Photo credit: Wikipedia
Have you ever had your future told? I was never interested in fortune-telling because I believe in focusing on the present and living life one day at a time. But last night, I had my future told. By my own uncle!

It happened as we were chit-chatting after dinner. They reminisced about how fast time flies, how we were once kids and now we're all grown up. They asked how old I am now and inquired about my love life, of course. Relatives seem to be always curious about your love life don't they? Upon hearing that I don't have a boyfriend, my uncle started giving me tips in dating - how I should open up and show everyone what a beautiful flower I am. Awkwarddd. But I laughed it off. He told me that Geminis tend to keep things to themselves. They know a lot but won't show it. Also, they're very giving that people tend to take advantage of them. Then he gave me a lecture on how to discern true friends among the many friends I have. You see, my uncle just never runs out of stories and knowledge to share.

He even offered to tell my fortune for fun and asked to look at my hands. I was hesitant because he just ate hundreds of shellfish for dinner! Haha Noticing my hesitation, he washed his hands clean before looking at mine. While he was away, I quickly asked my auntie how legit my uncle's fortune-telling is. Turns out, it's in their blood. His mother used to be the most famous fortune teller in Badio, Aklan. I'm still skeptical but I gave it a go.

After looking at my hands for a while, here are some of the things he told me:

#1 Financial freedom. As I grow up, I won't rely on my parents' inheritance but instead, work hard to earn my own money.

#2 Love life. There is a 99% chance of me marrying someone not from the Philippines. He may be of a different race or half Filipino or a Filipino born abroad. And we'll meet overseas. By chance. No wonder I travel a lot! Haha But somehow, I've had this feeling for a long time that I won't meet my one true love in this country. I'm just surprised my uncle knew about it! Also, he mentioned that this person won't be someone I've met in the past but someone I have yet to meet. Sounds pretty exciting, eh?

#3 Money management. One look at my right hand and my uncle knew how much of a gastador I am to which mom and dad quickly agreed. He says it's easy for me to spend or give money away because I'm a giver, not a receiver. If you think about it, I do love spending money on myself as much as I love spending on other people. On the flip side, the more I give, the more God will shower me with blessings as I help other people.* And to my defense, my spending is always reasonable. My uncle's words, not mine! :)) A look at my left hand and he told me that my future husband will be a gastador as well. Patay tayo dyan! Nevertheless, we'll manage to save up. He even advised me to let my fingernails grow (if I could) until my pinky reaches the line on my ring finger so as to lessen my spending.

#4 Health. I will live a pretty healthy life but he advised me to take special care of my stomach or abdomen. Ow. How did he know about my abdominal pains thanks to dysmenorrhea?? According to him, Geminis tend to have difficulty in giving birth so he advised me to do squats to strengthen my pelvic bone. He also advised me to eat on time and avoid skipping meals. And that I should lessen my consumption of sweets and watch what I eat because I will tend to eat and eat once I give birth. Ayayay!

#5 Compatibility. There are two kinds of Pisces - one that goes with the flow and one that goes against it. I should steer away from Pisces that tend to go with the flow because he's sure to be under-the-saya if I did end up with one and I wouldn't want that. Sagittarius are great companions for Geminis because they are jolly people but they hate restrictions. They won't like it if you ask them where they've been or why they came home late. They're just in it for the fun times. Now, those born in April are natural breadwinners. They'll do everything for you - be it housework or earning for the family. They'd love you unconditionally and will take really good care of you. The downside? They tend to get really jealous and would want you only for themselves. Not really good for a Gemini who doesn't want to be tied down.

#6 Marriage. I will have one and only one marriage. I won't get divorced or be widowed early. Glad to know my future hubby and I will grow old together. On top of that, I'll get married around the age of 30 or 31. Good enough for me.

#7 Children. I'll have two. Well, I want three but having more than two will be difficult for me. My husband may want more but two will be ideal. And these children will be from my bloodline, not my husband's. My uncle liked that since that means my future kids will be intellectuals. Haha

He then proceeded to lecture me to look for someone who will love my parents as much as I love them and for me to love my future in-laws. If they don't like me at first, I should do everything to get closer to them. Also, this guy I'm going to end up with will try to get in bed with me before marriage. Nakakaloka! He reminded me to always follow my head over my heart and I should save it after marriage. My auntie teased him about how old-fashioned he was. Haha That talk should be awkward but it wasn't. I just laughed it off. Again. He says he can tell me more but he'll leave the rest to me but he kept on going and asked to look at my right foot. According to him, the house or building I'll purchase, which will be my future family's home, will be overseas as well. Pang-Ms. International pala ang peg ko! But he added that wherever it will be will be both my husband and I's choice.

Sure, I don't believe in fortune-telling but it was fun. All the things he mentioned are likely to happen anyway. My auntie reminded me that I shouldn't let my uncle's predictions lead my life though. I should still be open to meeting guys even if they're pure-bred Filipinos or born in the Philippines. Haha

All this talk about the future definitely made my night. No wonder, I still haven't met Mr. Right. I guess I have yet to visit his hometown, eh? :))

With that, let me leave you with one of my favorite verses from the Bible:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11, NIV)
See, no need to worry about the future. My God has it all figured out for me. He's got my back. Always.

*Mom and dad raised us on this principle that we may always be grateful to God and helpful to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!