05 August 2012

Hallyu

Don't come close! But don't go far...
A few days ago, I started watching The Moon That Embraces The Sun (해를 품은 달) because of Kim Soo Hyun. I've never been a fan of historical dramas in general but I'm hoping this one will change my views. Being my first sageuk* ever, it's not that bad. It's quite good actually. The costumes are beautiful and the production is amazingly well done.

I didn't like the young protagonists at first but they grow on you. I've especially grown to like the young Prince Yang Myung who lives a care-free life even though he has a tragic story to tell. He and his friends (Yeom and Woon) look super cute together as well.
L-R: (Illegitimate) Prince Yang Myung, Crown Prince Hwon, Top Literary Scholar Yeom, Top Military Scholar Woon. F4 ang peg?
The Queen Mother is obviously the antagonist in this drama and I know I should resent her for meddling, but I found myself amused by the way she speaks in metaphors all the time. The head of the Personnel Ministry and his daughter, however, really gets under my skin. Talk about having kontrabida faces! And just like any other K-drama, this one has a complicated love story as well.
Royal love triangle, anyone?
After reading the plot, I couldn't wait for the young Yeon Woo to die so the kids can grow up! But as the story progresses, I found myself enjoying the performance of these young actors. Their acting is pretty convincing and they look so cute together! I was heartbroken for the two suns (princes) when they heard the news that Yeon Woo passed away due to a mystical illness. :(
Young Lee Hwon mourning the death of young Yeon Woo.
After watching five episodes, Kim Soo Hyun is still nowhere to be found. Well, at least not until the next episode's preview! Booooo~ I still have to wait for episode 6 to finish downloading before I see Joseon's fictitious king. :((
See you soon, my king!
So for the time being, I guess I should continue watching City Hunter (시티헌터) starring Lee Min Ho. I remembered I still haven't finished watching this drama thanks to the young Prince Yang Myung who was played by a different and younger actor named Lee Min Ho! That's a bit confusing, right?
Lee Min Ho in City Hunter
I don't know if it's the weather or the lack of new episodes from my favorite shows but it looks like I've been bitten by the hallyu** bug. Not that I'm complaining.

* Korean historical drama
**Also known as the Korean wave or the significant increase in popularity of Korean entertainment and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!