03 July 2012

화이팅!*

Mr. Charm Lee's Beginner Korean Class!
After our bestie date over the weekend, my excitement for our upcoming South Korea trip went overboard!  I realized I only have four months to learn Korean if I were to keep my promise** last year.  I know I'm way behind but it's never too late to start.  So yesterday, I finally tried to learn how to read and write in Hangeul (한글) with the help of Mr. Charm Lee.  As seen above, the tutorial promises to teach you to read the Korean alphabet in just 30 minutes (or less if you're a fast learner)!

First challenge: learning the 14 consonants of the Korean alphabet.  The lesson started with the basic consonants or the first five which are also attributed to the five elements (wood, fire, water metal, earth).
The First Five
Simple enough.  I memorized it right away.  It helps if you know how to write in Japanese (Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji) as the strokes will come naturally to you.  From there, it's easy to learn the rest of the consonants as they are derived from the first five.
The Rest of The Family
They also have double consonants which are pronounced similar to their single counterparts but with more emphasis.
Double Consonants
So after the 10-minute lesson, I started practicing on the back of my notebook.  Look at my progress! HAHA
Eww. Look at that squiggly handwriting!
While practicing, I remembered how to write my name in Korean which I learned a year ago thanks to Hara (하라).  Sara(h) = 사 라.  Pretty simple, right?
It's all coming back, it's all coming back to me now.
Second challenge: learning the vowels and diphthongs.  Sure, they are easy to write but to remember?  Ah~ confusing!  Why do they have to look so similar?? T-T
The Basic Vowels
Diphthongs
Don't fret though!  Mr. Charm Lee has a special method to help you remember them. :)
Mr. Charm Lee's Special Method
Putting everything I've learned together after 30 minutes, I was scribbling away on my notebook.  In Korean!  Sure, I may have the reading and writing speed of a toddler but it's a start.  With a little more practice (and a lot of patience), who knows what I'll be able to do in four months?***
Look, my first sentence in 한글 !
If you're currently trying to learn Korean like me: 아자!  We can do this!  If you haven't started yet but have 30 minutes to spare, head over to Official Korea Tourism Organization's website and check out Mr. Charm Lee's tutorial.  Or you may start by clicking the links below:

*Hwaiting (화이팅 or 파이팅) is the Korean way of wishing someone good luck.
**My bestie and I made a pact to try and learn Korean in time for our next trip to Seoul!
***Yes, I need that pep talk! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!