23 May 2012

Missing Thailand, one dish at a time

Today, I got my first taste of authentic Mango and Sticky Rice (Kanin Club) - as in the native delicacy and not the Blizzard version.  Pathetic, I know.  But in my defense, I rarely eat kakanin so no need to be judgmental.
Kanin Club's Mango and Sticky Rice
Kanin Club's version has macapuno and chocnut bits sprinkled on top of it.  Ahh heavenly~!  Perfect for me and my sweet tooth.  It made me miss Thailand though where my love for this wonderful pair started.

You've probably heard of Fruits in Ice Cream but sticky rice in icecream?  Pretty weird, I know.  But trust me, it's delicious!  I'm not even a fan of kakanin but I'm crazy over DQ's Mango Sticky Rice Blizzard!  Believe it or not, I've never even tried our local version of mango and sticky rice when I tried this but my curiosity (and love for mangoes) took over so I ordered this:
DQ's Mango and Sticky Rice Blizzard
Mango icecream topped with sticky rice.  Perfection in my mouth.  I thought it'd be weird to have rice with icecream but it wasn't.  The sticky rice reminded me of our local bico.  It wasn't sweet so it complemented the slight sweetness of the mango icecream.

My only regret the first time I tried this was that I didn't order the largest size. :(  I love sticky rice but I was too full from our lunch at Yum Saap, I thought I'd throw up if I'll have it again for dessert.  Boy, was I wrong!  We finished the cup in no time!  Partida, tinipid pa namin yun.  Well, we did learn our lesson and ordered the largest cup to-go the next time we chanced upon a Dairy Queen store in Bangkok.  Hah!  They also have Mango Almond and Mango Sticky Rice Blizzard in Waffle Cone.  I'm guessing it was some kind of summer promo or something.
Mango craze!
I loved it so much, I didn't even take time to take a photo of it.  Good thing, my ever reliable cousin Noi was there snapping away photos while we were devouring the poor thing.  How I wish we have something like this in the Philippines.
Attack!
Whenever I go on trips, I tend to order the most interesting items on the menu.  If I haven't tried it before and it's not available in the country, I'd probably order it.  The more bizarre it is, the more I'm intrigued to try it.  I still have my limits, of course.  If it looks safe enough to eat (yes, I consider Happy Pizza safe enough to eat), I'd go for it.  Most of the time, they turn out to be great discoveries but I've also had my fair share of why-did-i-order-this-again moments.  This is definitely one of those moments I'm thankful I had the guts to try it.


Travel date: 14 April 2012 [Day 9]
Photo credits: Vanie and Noi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!