22 May 2012

Sagad sa Sagada: Let the (mis)adventures begin!

En route to Sagada

A lot can happen during lunch and merienda breaks.  Our Sagada adventure started out as nothing but wishful thinking during one lunch time chismisan.  In less than two months, we made it happen just in time for our batch's 4th anniversary.
The breathtaking view you get to enjoy if you take the Benguet route.  Unfortunately, I was asleep most of the time.
Travel buddies: Erin (organizer), Mabel, Vanie, Mayee, Faye, Tuns, Jeng (oganizer), Arvin, Rach, Eric and Meg

ETD from Cubao (via Victory Liner): 9:00 PM (tickets cost Php 450)
ETA in Baguio: 3:00 AM
ETD from Baguio (via Lizardo Bus): 6:00 AM (tickets cost Php 220)
ETA in Sagada: 11:00 AM

One might think that 12 hours on the road is crazy but I'm up for it - I've had worse.  The latest being the 8-hour ride turned 12+ hours from Cambodia to Thailand on a hot summer day.  At least our destination this time has cooler temperature so sleeping won't be a problem for me as I usually sleep my way through long trips be it by land, sea or air.  All I need are my trusty travel pillow, sleep mask, earphones and an iPod, and I'm good to go.

Since all of us are first-timers in Sagada, we decided to take the Benguet route instead of Bontoc.  The view is said to be breathtaking plus there will be a stop over in Baguio so we'll have time to take a breather before heading to Sagada.

Erin, Vanie and I were the first ones to arrive at the Victory Liner Terminal (Cubao).  We easily spotted Mayee and together, we waited for the others to arrive.  When our traveling party was complete, we made one last trip to the washroom before boarding the bus and braced ourselves for the long ride ahead.  Tip #1: Always bring some coins with you whenever you're going to the washroom.

The bus had free WiFi which is pretty cool.  First-timer right here!  So I made it a point to check-in to Foursquare.  HAHA  The WiFi kept me up for a couple of hours before I eventually fell asleep.  All our friends who've been to Sagada before told us that the bus ride is the coldest part of the trip.  And they were right!  I kept waking up from time to time just to add another layer of clothing (thick jacket with the hoodie on, beanie and pashmina) on me until I'm all warm and fuzzy.  Tip #2: Bundle up and prepare for the freezing ride.

We arrived in Baguio around 3 AM and it was freezing!  My friends kept teasing me that I look like a Korean in my get-up.  Bakit ba, malamig e!  From the Victory Liner Terminal (Baguio), we took a cab to Dangwa bus station.  The fare was approximately Php 50 for 4 people.  Since the first trip to Sagada doesn't leave until 6 AM, we stayed at the restaurant nearest the ticket booth to keep ourselves warm.  It was too early for breakfast but once we saw the other tables getting their orders, we decided to eat as well.  The serving was huge but the food was meh.  Since there are no advanced bookings for the bus, Erin and Jeng had to wait for the ticket booth to open at 5 AM to buy our tickets.  Bless them for being dedicated organizers!  We stayed behind in the restaurant and you know, did what we do best.
Ang dakilang organizers (with alalays chos!) who fell in line at 5 AM to buy our bus tickets to Sagada...
...while we were at the restaurant doing this.  Sinong true friends?
One of the kuyas in the restaurant woke me up from my semi-deep sleep, telling me that the bus going to Sagada has already arrived.  Bless him.  Again, we made our last washroom break before boarding the bus.  Misadventure #1: check!  As if I didn't have enough things to worry about, I just got my period. #TMI  Why am I not even surprised? :|  I won't let that stop me from enjoying this trip though.  I just prayed hard that I don't have to suffer from dysmenorrhea all throughout the trip.

The bus going to Sagada has no AC but who needs it when you've got centralized air-conditioning c/o the fresh cool breeze waiting outside?  The bus left around 6 AM and we started our long journey to Sagada.  Since we've been suffering from the scorching heat in the city, we were excited to open our windows to let the cool air in (WRONG MOVE).  I wouldn't mind riding ordinary buses if the air is this fresh!

After a few hours, I woke up chilling from the mountain air.  I struggled to shut the window down but after several tries, I managed to close the damn thing (with the help of Mayee) but it still left me shivering.  Tip #3: Don't leave the window wide open if you plan on falling asleep.  So when the bus stopped and some older women announced that we're stopping for a washroom break, I knew I had to go with them.  I managed to convince Erin and Vanie to go with me but we weren't prepared for what's waiting for us.  The "toilets" seemed like abandoned cubicles left in the middle of nowhere! :o  They stink really bad and they had no doors!  To make matters worse, they were squat toilets (or what I refer to as "traditional toilets" in some SEA countries)!  QUE HORROR!  Even though I've tried it a couple of times already, I still find it difficult to pee in those.  So I thought about holding it in but I won't survive the bumpy ride to Sagada for sure and we're not even half-way through our journey!  While I was still in shock trying to take everything in, an ate suggested I pee in the talahiban instead just like she did.  Yikes!  That made me decide to give it a go.  I pulled the broken door to somehow block me from the other passengers' view but haller, andaming malalaking butas so it's useless!  But in desperate times like this, bahala na si batmanMisadventure #2: check!  After doing our business, we ran all the way to the bus in fear of getting left behind and that left us breathless.  Patawa lang e.  Tip #4: Bring some wet wipes.  And some courage too.  You'll need it.

Stop over #2: WHAT THERE ARE REAL STOP OVERS WITH REAL TOILETS?!?!  Oh well, I didn't bother to get off the bus as I was still not over our Misadventure #2.  Okay, charge to experience na lang.  Stop over #3: I decided to get off the bus for another washroom break.  Hooray, I was greeted by traditional toilets once again! /sarcasm  But at least this time, you have 2 options: cubicle or no cubicle.  I went for the cubicle option, of course.  It took me a while to figure out the no cubicle option though.  I was staring at the holes on the floor for the longest time wondering what they were.  At first I thought it was some kind of old flush system or something but I was proven wrong when I saw an ate in action and instantly knew what the mysterious holes are for.  To make matters worse, I even saw one ate throwing up in one of the holes.  Misadventure #3: check!

Since we were in a market-like area, I had a feeling we're already nearing Sagada.  So we asked the bus conductor how near we are from Sagada to which he replied with a weirdly pronounced "Malayo pa."  Fine.  Back to sleep then.  If it isn't obvious, I was asleep most of the time but during the few times I was awake, I was in awe with the view - the mountainside, the terraces below, the falls on the left side.  Amazing.  But every time I look out the window, the road seemed to never end.

Touchdown: Sagada

I never did any serious research (does googling what to wear count?) before going to Sagada because I left everything in Jeng and Erin's hands.  Plus, I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much.  Extreme activities just aren't my thing (usually).  So I didn't know what to expect.

When the bus finally stopped for the last time, I had my first real look at Sagada's town proper.  It's a small place alright and you can easily spot the tourists from the locals.  It's so small, it looked like a set from a movie to me.  Define probinsya!  And I mean that in a positive way.  It's a refreshing change of view, far from what I'm used to in the city.  I can't believe we just traveled 12 hours not knowing how much we'll get attached to this place.

We arrived around 12NN, an hour later than our ETA.  While waiting for our hotel transfer (chos van lang), I saw a little girl eating halo-halo and wondered what makes it different.  Funny, how I was surprised by that e haller, summer naman.  I instantly got intrigued and wanted to try one!  But first things first, we need to get settled into Bagalima River Side Inn so we can make the most of our day. 
At Bagalima River Side Inn.  Freshened up for a bit and got dressed for spelunking.  Game on!
We originally wanted to have lunch at Masferre but due to time constraints, we headed straight to the nearest restaurant from Bagalima which is Lemon Pie House!  It must have been so obvious that we were in a hurry because the staff greeted us with how long it takes to prepare their food.  Tip #5: Food is always served fresh in Sagada so be prepared to wait around 30-45 before receiving your orders.  When we seemed hesitant, they convinced us with "May free WiFi kami!"  HAHA  Tech freaks all the waaaay!  Pwede na mabuhay sa Sagada!  We settled for their fried chicken meal which is the quickest to prepare.  And some slices of egg pie and lemon pie.  So delish!  Tip #6: If you want to take home some pie with you, order one day in advance since these can run out pretty fast.
Don't let the pictures fool you, their serving is huge!  You need all the energy you have for spelunking so you should definitely eat up!
Kuya Gareth (president of SaGGAs and our contact person) was kind enough to move our schedule to 3PM to give us time to finish everything we need to do.  Then we're off to our first Sagada challenge!


Travel date: 5 May 2012 [Day 1]
Photo credits: Faye and Vanie

Want to visit Sagada?  Head over to the SaGGAs website to better familiarize yourself with what's in store for you.  You can also choose a trusty tour guide in advance from their catalog as long as they're available during your trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!