11 August 2013

Only plugged in to save rock and roll.

Some bands are worth seeing once. Others, twice. But with Fall Out Boy, I don't even have to think twice. I'll never stop seeing them as long as they keep coming back. I love this band so much, I'd even go to a show alone if I have to and I did.* After all, you're never really alone in a concert. I enjoyed it as much as I've enjoyed their last two shows here. Or maybe even more.

This time, Typecast opened up for FOB (2007: Chicosci, 2009: Hey Monday). Funny how I've seen Typecast multiple times now because they always seem to open up for my favorite bands. The crowd was chanting "F! O! B!" while the vocalist was introducing themselves and I couldn't help but laugh as he teasingly said, "Kayo talaga ha!" HAHAHA Kids. I guess local bands are used to that by now but still, they deserve a little respect too.

But enough about that, let's move on to my favorite moments from Fall Out Boy's third time in Manila. Just excuse the crappy photos, okay?
1.1. The band opened up with Thriller, bringing us back to the last time they were here. Honestly, I was hoping they'd start the show with The Phoenix and it's hair-raising intro but I'm glad they stuck to Thriller. It was the perfect opening song then and it remains to be the perfect opening song now especially for a band who came back after an indefinite hiatus to save rock and roll. After all, it has always been about the kids. "Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the die-hards. So long live the car crash hearts!"

1.2. The band showing up with their signature instruments and in their signature looks. Patrick with his vest and hat, Pete with his red & black plaid shirt and FOB jacket, Joe with his afro, all black ensemble and FOB vest, and Andy wearing nothing but shorts and flip-flops. It's like they were never even gone.

1.3. The lights for the Save Rock and Roll tour was absolutely stunning. Definitely one of the best ones I've seen along with 30STM, The Script and All Time Low.

2. Brian, their bass tech, joining in and trading screams with Pete in I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me. "I found the cure to growing older. And you're the only place that feels like home."

3. The entire pit turning into a massive dance floor as the band played A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me." "I don't blame you for being you but you can't blame me for hating it."
4. Pete talking about butterfly bandages before starting Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes and everyone screaming "Boycott love!" as if we're in the middle of a street protest. "I'm a loose bolt of a complete machine. What a match, I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet."

5. Hearing The Phoenix live. OHMYGOD. I have no words for it. The intro resonated throughout the coliseum, making you want to put on your warpaint. Listening to the cd alone gave me goosebumps but hearing it live was something else. I wanted to record the whole song but I couldn't stop jumping so I gave it up and gave in to the music. "Hey young blood, doesn't it feel like our time is running out? I'm gonna change you like a remix and then raise you like a phoenix."

6. Everyone putting their fists up as we screamed "God! Damn! Arms! Race!" during This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race. "Bandwagon's full, please catch another."

7.1. Patrick talking about how the band will never leave us alone as an intro to Alone Together got me tearing up a little because in a sense, it's true. Friends may leave you hanging (like mine did because of financial reasons lol) but  music stays with you forever. Bands are immortalized through their songs just like authors are immortalized by their stories. It's not about staying relevant, but about touching lives. So thank you, FOB, for sticking around. "I don't know where you're going but do you got room for one more troubled soul?"

7.2. All the kids screaming "YEAH!" at all the right times as if we're in the studio doing gang vocals for Alone Together. Or maybe because Patrick can make you say yeah to whatever he says. "My heart is like a stallion, they love it more when it's broken. Do you wanna feel beautiful?"
Patrick: Say yeah.
Kids: YEAH!
Patrick: Let's be alone together.
Kids: YEAH!
Patrick: We can stay young forever.
Kids: YEAH!
8. Just when I thought I was through tearing up, Patrick started thanking the Filipino kids and then casually mentioned his wife that if not for the Philippines, she won't probably even be here. Aww and then the intro for What a Catch, Donnie started which naturally made me cry again. I have a knack for crying in concerts when I see my favorite bands for the first time (because I can't contain my emotions so they automatically come out in tears) but this is FOB we're talking about so yeah, I have an excuse. After all, What a Catch always reminds me of the start of the hiatus and the last of the FBR/Decaydance glory days. "I got troubled thoughts and the self-esteem to match. What a catch."

9.1. Bringing the crowd back to life with Death Valley. Ooh the irony! "What I've got will make you feel more alive. I will be your favorite drug, I will get you high."

9.2. Patrick dreamily singing the "Baby" parts in Death Valley. Haaay, Patrick, why you so sexy?? ♥

10.1. The crowd singing the "Hallelujah" chorus in Hum Hallelujah. It was so beautiful, you'd think you were in a different concert. Haha Seriously though, it was so good, had my dad been there, I bet he'll be singing along too.** "A teenage vow in a parking lot, 'Til tonight do us part.'"

10.2. Patrick singing "I still write it better than you ever felt it." Oh yes, you do. :(( "You are the dreamer and we are the dream. I could write it better than you ever felt it."
11.1. Grand Theft Autumn because it's Grand Theft Autumn. The crowd seriously sang this from start to end. Amazing. "Where is your boy tonight? I hope he is a gentleman. Maybe he won't find out what I know. You were the last good thing about this part of town."

11.2. Patrick showing off his Filipino-speaking skills by saying "Kamusta?" and "Mabuhay!" and sharing how he loves halo-halo. And Pete proudly declaring to the crowd the only thing he can say in Filipino, "I want chicken adobo!" Hay, chicken adobo, I'll never think of you the same way again. Haha

12. The crowd going wild during Sugar, We're Goin Down. I love how everyone screamed upon hearing Patrick sing "Am I more than you bargained for yet?" and then started singing along to every word. "I'm just a notch in your bedpost but you're just a line in a song."

13.1. Pete calling out all the dudes in the crowd and then talking about how pretty girls can make boys make the wrong decisions. It's always the pretty girls, he said. And then talking about how difficult that must be in the Philippines where there are loads of pretty girls. Haha Bolero pa rin! And then they performed Young Volcanoes while the big screen zoomed in on some of the pretty girls in the crowd. Awesome. "In poisoned places, we are anti-venom. We're the beginning of the end."

13.2. Pete pointing to Patrick as he sung, "We will teach you how to make boys-next-door out of assholes." Haha Peterick is still alive! ♥
14.1. The fact that Young Volcanoes didn't really end as Andy segued to the drum beats for Dance, Dance which obviously got everyone off their feet (including the chaperones). "And these are the lives you'd love to lead. Dance, this is is the way they'd love if they knew how misery loved me."

14.2. Patrick doing the heart thingy during "Why don't you show me a little bit of spine you've been saving for his mattress, love?" just like old times.

15.1. Pete talking about getting homesick and then making the crowd do the wave. Again. I guess they love doing waves in stadiums. Not that I'm complaining. :)

15.2. Pete talking about three little words as an intro to I Don't Care and the crowd becoming one as we screamed "I. DON'T. CARE." on cue. "I don't care what you think as long as it's about me. The best of us can find happiness in misery."

16.1. Pete giving a lengthy speech about how Save Rock and Roll came to be - how they needed to take a break because they didn't feel what they're doing was special anymore or something along those lines. I love how he didn't want to talk about it in interviews but wanted to do it in person, not because they owe us an explanation but because the kids deserve to know. And then he went on telling the crowd not to let anybody tell you you're not special. Aww :((
16.2. The lengthy speech served as the intro to My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up) and everyone went crazy! "I've got the scars from tomorrow and I wish you could see that you're the antidote to everything except for me."

16.3. Singing/screaming "I'm on fiiiiiiiiiiiire!" as loud as I can. Lol I've waited for this moment. Haha

17.1. FOB leaving the stage and everyone just standing there like they can't believe it. Of course, it's not over. A concert's not over until the encore and FOB's known for giving out the best ones.

17.2. The crowd chanting a mix of "We want more!" and "F! O! B!" before the band came back in new outfits to perform Save Rock and Roll while photos of music legends flashed on the big screen. "I need more dreams and less life. I need that dark in a little more light."

17.3. PATRICK ON THE PIANO. Need I say more? "You are what you love, not who loves you."
17.4. Pete in his black cut sleeve tee showing off his guns omg. I've had a crush on Pete as a teen (because of his wit okay, not his looks haha #defensive) and I can't believe he still got it. I still swooned over him like a teenage girl. ♥

17.5. Patrick singing "Oh no we won't go, we don't know when to quit oh oh" and Pete joining in then Joe. And finally, Andy picked up his mic, stood on his bass drum and joined in. I was crying buckets as the band sung the last lines together as if making a promise to the kids. :((((((( "I will defend the faith, going down swinging. I will save the songs that we can't stop singing."

18.1. The band having the obligatory photo op with the crowd. I love how Pete and Andy were throwing up peace signs. So Asian! Haha Funny how bouncers were also included in the photo casually carrying one fan off the pit.

18.2. The band performing Beat It and killing it. And Joe's solo. Wow.

19. Pete reminiscing about the last time they were in Manila where the crowd told him, "F*ck you, Pete!" after Patrick told the story behind Thnks fr th Mmrs. And then they actually started playing it which made the crowd go wild. "One night and one more time. Thanks for the memories even though they weren't so great. 'He tastes like you, only sweeter.'"
20.1. The show went full circle as they ended with what else but Saturday. "I'm good to go and I'm going nowhere fast. It could be worse, I could be taking you there with me."

20.2. All the Peterick moments as Patrick sang, "Pete and I attacked the lost Astoria with promise and precision and mess of youthful innocence." and "Me and Pete in the wake of Saturday." Aww~

20.3. Brian standing in for bass as Pete grabbed the mic and went into the crowd while doing the screams. Oh how I missed the screams!

20.4. Joe staying behind and Andy handing out his extra sticks.

20.5. And finally, the band leaving the crowd feeling satisfied after such a great show.
Thrilla in Manila 2013 (Photo credit: Fall Out Boy)
Wait, did I just run through the entire set list? Oh well, I loved every moment of it anyway. All I can say is, FOB is definitely back. I can't believe they're still doing the spins and flips but of course, not as much as before. They've grown up for sure and I love how they all look a lot happier now. I'm glad that the hiatus did them good. So thank you, Patrick, Pete, Andy and Joe, for coming back!

* Got my patron ticket as a birthday gift from my little brother! So in a way, I'm still celebrating my birthday in August. :)

** Back in college, I caught my dad listening to my Infinity on High cd several times even when I'm not there. He casually sings some FOB songs too. Not really surprising for a dad who've had Welcome to the Black Parade as his ringtone for the longest time. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!